Two novels, one play ( literary recommendations and an outfit post) / Dva romana, jedna drama ( književne preporuke i odjevna kombinacija)

Before I get into my book recomemndations of the day, I want to recommend to you a play titled The Man Who Turned Into Sofa. I have listented to it for the first time last night.  It is currently available for free and will be for next to two weeks. So, go ahead and  listen to this play on BBC ( LINK). Don't miss it! Yesterday when I finished listening to it, I was all teary eyed. I can't say that it is a complete surprise because being a reader of Rosalind blog (link) for some time now, I'm familiar with her immense writing talent. What makes this play special is that is cowritten with her parents who are writers as well. It is brilliantly writen and the production is exceptional. Narrated by the writers themselves (Andrew Fusek Peters, Polly Petters and Rosalind Jana Peters who potray themselves) and by Lorcan Cranitch who plays the sofa, accompanied by a wonderful selection of music, it is an emotionally profound and incredibly honest journey into depression. 

As difficult and hauntingly sad this theme is,  it didn't feel overwelmingly sad. I actually found this play to be  uplifting because one can really feel the love the family members have for one another. I would have to say that it is an unbelievably brave account of a family dealing with depression together.  The writing is, as I said, simply brilliant and it is very well balanced. The humour, the love and the honesty are so wonderfully captured in this play....together stand against the darkness of clinical depression....and they prevail.

Prije nego što prijeđem na književne preporuke dana, želim vam preporučiti dramsko djelo koje sam sinoć slušala. Trenutno ga možete besplatno poslušati, a biti će dostupno u toj formi još dva tjedna na službenoj stranici BBC-a (POVEZNICA). Nemojte ga propustiti! Jučer kada sam ga poslušala, bile su mi oči pune suza. Ne mogu reći da je potpuno iznenađenje jer već dugo čitam  Rosalind na njenom blogu (poveznica) i poznat mi je njen impresivni spisateljski talent. Što čini ovu dramu posebnom je što su je zajedno s Rosalind napisali i njezini roditelji koji su također spisatelji. Fantastično je napisana, a i produkcija je izvanredna. Čitaju je osobe koje su je napisale ( a to su Andrew Fusek Peters, Polly Peters and Rosalind Jana Peters), a ovo duboko emotivno i nevjerojatno iskreno putovanje u depresiju, prati i divan izbor glazbe. Glas kauča koji igra važnu ulogu je dao Lorcan Cranitch. Koliko god da je ova tema teška, nisam imala osjećaj da me preplavila, naprotiv ljubav koju članovi ove obitelji imaju jedni prema drugima je kao svijetlo u tami. Opisala bi ovu dramu kao nevjerojatno hrabar prikaz obitelj koja se bori protiv depresije zajedno. Pisanje je kao što sam rekla briljantno i u sjajnoj ravnoteži. Humor, ljubav i iskrenost su tako dobro prikazani u ovoj drami...zajedno oni stoje protiv tame kliničke depresije...i pobjeđuju.









Alright. Let's talk novels now. The one I'm holding in my hands, pretty content it matches my outfit, is the first novel in Belgariad series i.e. Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. It is pretty easy to define it genrewise, it  a coming of age story that falls into  young adult and fantasty genre. The story follows a young boy being raised by his  tall aunt (my favourite character in his novel) on a small farm. Garion grows up not expecting anything out of the ordinary to happen to him. 

 Despite the fact that Garion feels a sinestry presence haunting him, a dark shadow, he is never certain whether this is a product of his imagination. However, soon he is to discover that he is not so ordinary and he will get involved in the world of magic and adventure. Does that sound familiar? Well, this book does have a fair amount of genre stereotypes but that doesn't mean it is not any good. In fact, being published in the early eighties, it could even be said that some better known works have copied or at least borrowed some aspects from it. My opinion of it is very simple. I rather liked it but I'm not head over heels with this book. It is entertaing, fun and well structured, a real page turner, but that is all. It isn't terribly deep and it is no Tolkien. It doesn't really live up to great masterworks of fantasy, but it comes close. I got this novel from a friend and I'm thinking about rereading it. I did like it, I just didn't find it exceptional. If you like fantasy, give it a try. It is an entertaining read, I just didn't connect with it on a deeper level.

Dobro. Sada ćemo pričati o romanima. Onaj koji držim u ruci, zadovoljna što mi se slaže s odjevnom kombinacijom je prvi roman u Belgariard seriji, Pijun Proročanstva Davida Eddingsa. Prilično ga je lako žanrovski definirati, to je tipična priča o odrastanju žanrovski gledano fantastika i roman za mlade. Priča prati dječaka koji odrasta na maloj farmi, a odgaja ga njegova visoka teta ( moj najdraži lik u knjizi). Garion odrasta ne očekujući da će mu se išta neobično dogoditi. Iako osjeća da ga progoni neka mračna prisutnost, tamna sjena, nikad nije posve siguran je li to samo proizvod njegove mašte. Međutim, uskoro će otkriti da nije tako običan i postati će dio svijeta magije i avanture. Zvuči li to poznato? Dobro, ova knjiga doista prati niz žanrovskih stereotipa, ali to ne znači da nije dobra. Zapravo s obzirom da je objavljena u ranim osamdesetima, moglo bi se reći da su neka poznatija djela kopirala ili barem posudila neke ideje iz nje. Moje je mišljenje jako jednostavno, svidjela mi se, ali nisam luda za ovom knjigom. Zabavna je, napeta i dobro sastavljana, ali to je to. Nije veoma duboka i nije Tolkien. Ne može se reći da je dorasla najboljim djelima fantastike, ali je blizu. Dobila sam ovaj roman od prijateljice i sada razmišljam da ga ponovo pročitam. Svidio mi se, ali mi se nije činio izvanredan. Sviđa li vam se fantastika, pročitajte ga. Zabavno je štivo, ali nisam se baš povezala s njim.






Oscar Wilde. Don't get me started on Oscar Wilde. I've read everything he has ever written. I've spent hours browsing the net, looking for anecdotes from his life and I even enjoyed watching the movie versions of his plays (that I probably know by heart). I remember dragging different editions  Collected Works of Oscar Wilde with me everywhere. I was and still am fascinated by him, both as a writer and a person. There probably isn't a day when his famous 'overdressed and overeducated' quote  doesn't pop out in my mind...I've encourntaed many of his sayngs along my mental pathways. I consider him to be quite a brilliant playwrite, yer what I want to recommend to you today is a novel. What a novel it is! It is the only novel that Oscar Wilde wrote, but as they say for life, if you get it right, one is enough!


Oscar Wilde. Bolje da ne krenem doista pričati o njemu. Pročitala sam sve što je ikada napisao. Provela sam sate na internetu tražeći anegdote iz njegovoga života, a čak su mi se svidjele i filmske verzije njegovih drama. koje sam pročitala toliko puta da ih znam napamet. Sjećam se kako sam vukla različita izdanja njegovih sabranih djela svugdje. U meni je budio i još uvijek budi zanimanje i kao pisac i kao osoba. Vjerojatno ne prođe dan, a da ne pomislim da njegov poznati "overdressed and overeducated'" citat. Srela sam brojne njegove izreke na svojim mentalnim putevima. Smatram ga odličnim dramopiscem, ali danas želim preporučiti njegov roman. I to kakav roman! To je jedini roman kojega je Wilde napisao, ali kao što kažu za život, ako ga dobro proživiš i jedan je dovoljan!











Before I say anything about the novel, I just want to emphasize how much  I love the novel's preface. It is surpringly short and simple, but it is , nonetheless, one of the best defences of  art that I have ever read. I happen to think that The Picture of Dorian Gray has never been as relevant as today. Our society has grown so obsessed with looks and physical beauty, that such a novel is really (or it should be) a must read. Sure, this novel is more than just a warning what happens to those overly obssesed with their apprearance but I had to mention that aspect of it. Probably this novel would be relevant even if we didn't lived in such a society for it is indeed timeless. That is always a sign of a true masterpiece, isn't it so? I will never forget reading it for the first time. Most of my friends read it in high school but I read it a bit later when I was already at the University. Let me tell you, it was quite an experience! I swallowed the book in under an hour and I remember that feeling of being completely blown away. How could I forget it? I'm sure I will always dinsticly remember that first reading experience. Since then, I enjoyed reading it many times...and when you reread a book that many times, it really stays with you. So, my experience of reading it was quite intense! As for the novel itself, perhaps the best way to sum my feelings about it is to say that it never really ceased to enchant me. This novel layed its spell on me in my early tweenties and it still hasn't been lifted.

Prije nego što kažem išta o samom romanu, željela bi samo naglasiti koliko mi se sviđa predgovor. Začuđujuće je jednostavan i kratak, ali je tome usprkos, jedna od najboljih obrana umjetnosti koju sam ikada pročitala.  Doista mislim da je Slika Doriana Graya roman koji nikada nije bio aktualniji jer je naše društvo postalo toliko opsjednuto izgledom i fizičkom ljepotom da bi takvo djelo stvarno trebalo biti obavezno štivo. Naravno ovaj roman je puno više nego upozorenje što se događa onima koji su previše opsjednuti fizičkim izgledom, ali morala sam i to spomenuti. Vjerojatno bi ovaj roman bio relevantan i  da ne živimo u takvome društvu jer je bezvremenski. To je uvijek znak remekdjela, zar ne?  Nikada neću zaboraviti svoje prvo čitanje. Većina mojih prijateljiga ga je pročitala u srednjoj školi, ali ja sam ga pročitala kasnije kada sam već bila na fakultetu. Mogu vam reći da je to bilo zanimljivo iskustvo! Progutala sam knjigu u manje od sat i još se sjećam toga osjećaja potpunoga zanosa. Od tada sam uživala čitati ga ponovno puno puta, a kada toliko puta pročitate neku knjigu, ona postane dio vas. Tako da je moje iskustvo čitanja bilo jako snažno! Što se tiče samoga romana, možda ću najbolje sažeti svoje osjećaje ako kažem da me nikad nije prestao očaravati. Začarana sam negdje u ranim dvadesetima i ta čarolija još nije podignuta.


















UPDATE: MORE BOOK REVIEWS










These photographs were taken more than a month ago. I'm wearing a vintage top I painted myself and a skirt that is recent outlet find. The books I'm holding are Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde and Pawn of Propecy ( first novel in the The Belgradian Chronicles by David Eddings). The bag I'm wearing is a Croatian traditional folklore bag  and it is very special to me because it was a gift from my late grandmother. Thank you for reading and have a lovely day!


Ove fotografije su uslikane prije više od mjesec dana. Nosim vintage majicu koju sam sama oslikala i suknju koju sam nedavno pronašla u outletu. Knjige koje nosim u ruci su Slika Doriana Graya Oscara Wilda i Pijun Proročanstva Davida Eddingsa. Torba koju nosim je hrvatska tradicionalna folklorna torba, a ima posebno mjesto u mom srcu jer mi je poklonila pokojna baka. Hvala na čitanju, želim vam svima ugodan dan!

Comments

  1. I like your outfit - very good combination between the vintage style sporty top and that floral skirts!!
    I must say though - I love your new hairstyle. It suits you so much and makes you look very playful :)

    Lu | www.balgarka.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...it look super amazing...thx for sharing honey...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ivana :) First novel sounds really great, I think I'll look for it in library in my city, but I'm not sure if I find Polish version of this novel. Second novel sounds like good one, but I'm not fan of fantasty, so I recommend it to my fiance, who loves this kind of books. And you look so pretty on those photos, dear - your new haircut suits to you, what's more, you should wear baby blue more often, because it emphasize your beauty, I'm sure that it's your color! :D

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for recommending The Man Who Turned Into Sofa. I will see if I can catch it online. For it to have moved you so emotionally , it must be very well written and performed. The hand painted script on your top is such a nice personal touch and that skirt has a really fun patchwork feel. Your bag is lovely too and the fact that it's from your late grandmother is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look lovely and chic! I love the skirt and bag. The books sound amazing. I can't believe I haven't read Oscar Wildes books yet. Thanks for sharing these dear

    Http://leftbankgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look wonderful :)
    NEW BLOG ! please follow me : YOUNG BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot, my dear :D I agree :D Denim and basic tees makes the difference :D

    You look incredible as usual. This book sounds amazing :D
    In love with your bag :D

    NEW TIPS POST | Essentials In a Beach Day.
    InstagramFacebook Oficial PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jesam li dosad rekla kako ti odlično stoje šiške? Ako nisam, evo sad vičem - ko stvorene su za tebe! :)
    Wildea obožavam još od djetinjstva i baš bi bilo zanimljivo sad ponovno pročitati Doriana Graya, sa svim dosad skupljenim iskustvom i usporediti ga s ovim ludim vremenom u kojem živimo jer kao što si i sama rekla, ova priča nikad nije bila aktualnija!
    Što se tiče fantasy knjiga, nikad nisam bila ljubitelj, Tolkien je zakon, ali njega ionako doživljavam svjetovima iznad tog žanra tako da...

    Uživaj u početku vikenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tolkien je stvarno vrh, ja ga volim odmalena:)

      Delete
  9. Prva knjiga koju si navela me zanima, probat ću je naći i pročitati.
    Ja ne mogu prestati gledati u tvoje šiške, divna ti je frizura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ja bi preporučila onu dramu na BBC-u, stvarno je jako lijepa i iako je tužna ima sretan kraj.

      Delete
  10. I really like Dorian Grey, but haven't read much from Oscar Wilde apart from that. What would you recommend I start with?

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. his fairy tales...to me they seem more suitable for adults than for children.

      Delete
  11. two novel created by Oscar Wilde is very good if then recommended also to the world community as a novel by Oscar Wilde have good quality

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lindas imagens arrasou nos cabelos estar show, bom final de semana.
    Blog:http://arrasandonobatomvermelho.blogspot.com.br/
    Canal:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmO8csZDARM

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cannot believe I still have not read Oscar Wilde! Thank you for the post!
    Dora www.BangsBang.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love movies about Dorian Grey but i never was reading this book... You look amazing in this outfit, I love your skirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to watch the movie versions, I'm really curious about them.

      Delete
  15. Aw, that play sounds very intense and I'm glad it's running for two more weeks. I will make time to listen to it. Your apt description (as always) totally draws me in. It's so awesome that they have humor, love and honesty even as they battle depression together. Amazing to say the least.

    The book does match your look. Ingenious! I like your honest review of it. It does sound and is probably a fact that more known work in the same genre borrowed from this book, having been published way before them. Very interesting. I am not a huge fan of fantasy so this will not be for me.

    I love your cute skirt. Great find. Cute bag too and the fact that it's from your late grandma makes it all the more special. You look perfectly styled.

    How is work going? Have a lovely weekend Ivana.

    http://www.fashionablyidu.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would like the play...and I'm pretty sure you would like the blogger as well.

      Delete
  16. Lovely pictures!

    Ps: I'm hosting a Giveaway on the blog (Brand New Rose-Gold iPhone) I'd love if you entered. Kisses,
    BLOG | TAISLANY

    ReplyDelete
  17. That skirt looks awesome on you!

    xo

    www.dylanasuarez.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. bellissimo paesaggio, bellissimo look

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww miss you so muchd ear! so happy to visit your blog again! first of all you look wonderful! your hair looks great and your outfit is so cute!!! so glad you are enjoying wonderful books as well! would totally read them if I have their copy lol and time lol I'm rading a book now and this one's all about the working life, will write a review about this one soon as I finish this. Have a wonderful weekend dear!!!

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you darling:) I'm looking forward to reading that book about working life.

      Delete
  20. Great post!

    xoxo Jacqueline
    www.hokis1981.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic look!!! Happy weekend!:))

    xxBasia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interessante il libro, bella la tua gonna e tu mi piaci tantissimo con la frangia!!!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    My Facebook

    My Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Man Who Turned Into a Sofa sounds so interesting, and even more so now you've said the writer joined forces with her parents to create it - how brilliant! Also great choice of novel, by the way, Oscar Wilde can do no wrong :) I love your hair by the way, it's so much darker now - you have almost a 'poetic' look about you now! :)

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I bookmarked the BBC link, Plan on checking that out for sure. Also, Oscar Wilde is an absolute genius. I have The Picture of Dorian Grey in my collection too :)

    ps; your skirt is phenomenal!

    xo
    Marta
    www.paradiseplayground.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great recommendations, Ivana but seriously, how on earth did you managed to find time to read? Work, blog, normal daily life affair and read? Share your secrets!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I tend to always carry a book with me, that way I can read if I have to wait for a bus, or wait for someone who is late....

      2. I sometimes read during social events ( that's actually not very nice from me) such as formal lunches, weddings and etc. In fact, when it looks I'm using my cellphone, I'm probably just reading a book.

      3. I listen to audio books while I'm cooking, cleaning or exercising....sometimes even when I'm surfing the web. I'm not very keen on audiobooks but I can't deny they are very practical.

      4. I always read before going to sleep, even if only a few pages.

      5. I sometimes pretend that I'm listening to somebody or having a conversation while in fact I'm reading (that's not very nice either:)

      6. I managed to pull of reading and walking but it is not something to recommend because it is bound to get one stared at.

      7. I tend to read when I have insomnia. Fortunately, I don't have problems with insomnia anymore, sleepless night happen rarely nowadays....but in the past I sometimes spent all nights reading....and I read a lot of books that way.

      Delete
  26. Very nice recommendations and you look great! I absolutely love your bag.
    Have a wonderul evening. Hugs!:))

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look gorgeous!
    Much love!
    Pisa❤
    www.inlovewithmyclothes.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your gorgeous skirt! Looks stunning! =)

    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this post.. your outfit is really gorgeous! You seem really lovely too, I would love to follow each other and stay in contact.. let me know if you want to! x

    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very interesting!!!

    Have a nice evening!
    Photographer Gil Zetbase
    http://www.gilzetbase.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't have a lot of time to read but thanks for sharing and I love that skirt. So chic!

    XO, Jessi
    http://www.mywhiteT.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for recommending this play. You really got my attention. And I love , love the skirt you are wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have so many books to read but I don't find time! In August when I have a week off from work, I plan to read at least two books haha. I love your skirt, so colourful and fun! :)

    Yiota
    Pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. beautiful image and photo
    http://www.mosaictrends.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you a lot my friend :D

    As I said, you look super pretty :D Lovely outfit as usual :D
    NEW GET THE LOOK POST | Irreverent Wedding Look.
    InstagramFacebook Oficial PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome skirt and gorgeous look!
    I like your new hair style!:)

    jointyicroissanty

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can totally relate to that.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What an interesting post, dear Ivana! "The Man Who Turned Into Sofa" sounds really funny, never heard about this play. I did´nt read Pawn of Prophecy, but of course I read almost everything from Oscar Wilde. And I agree, that The Picture of Dorian Gray has never been as relevant as today.
    Nevertheless the part of this post, I liked the most, are these pictures of you! I love your cute skirt and I recently bought a similar skirt. However, mine has a difeferent colour, he is grey ;-)
    I love your shirt and shoes too and you look just beautiful, specially with your new hair style!!!

    xxxxx Nadine

    http://nadinecd.blogspot.co.at

    ReplyDelete
  39. That soundslike anamazing book
    You lookamazing,love that skirt

    ReplyDelete
  40. That bag is fantastic and your skirt so lovely. You would surely turn Dorian and Oscar's heads with your amazaing beauty, dear. Natual, sweet, and stunning!

    All Things Bright and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure I would, I think the beauty they were after was that of another gender:)

      Delete
  41. Great photos & post :) To be honest I have no time for books, I spend all the time in dictionaries :D

    ReplyDelete
  42. You are looking beautiful your outfit is amazing it looks so good on you novel looks quite interesting
    Hi I am your new Google+ and GFC follower would you like to visit my Blog too


    Glamorous without the Guilt

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks a lot, sweetie :D

    As I said, this book sounds super super interesting :D

    NEW REVIEW POST | Men’s Summer Beauty Box.
    InstagramFacebook Oficial PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

    ReplyDelete
  44. Odlicne preporuke draga! Bas mi treba neko stivo da se malo opustim, jer ovih dana nisam sva svoja (love hurts :-( Ali, svi imamo te neke dane i znam da proci.
    Preslatka si na slikama, poput devojcice sa prekrasnom sarenom suknjicom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

Jadrolinija ferry ride, travelling from Split to island Hvar (outfit post)

10 STYLE LESSONS LEARNED FROM MALENA/ MONICA BELLUCCI

THE LATHE OF HEAVEN BY URSULA K. LE GUIN (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION )

A COMMISSIONED PAINTING OF A CHAPEL IN MOSTAR: ACRYLICS ON CANVAS- TRAVEL WITH MY ART #36

EUGENE ONEGIN, A VERSE NOVEL BY A. PUSHKIN (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION: ROADSIDE PICNIC BY ARKADY AND BORIS STRUGATSKY

VISIT STJEPAN'S FORTRESS IN LJUBUŠKI (HERZEGOVINA) WITH ME!

THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ BY L.FRANK BAUM (BOOK REVIEW)

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY- 15 READING RECOMMENDATIONS!