Book review (Daughters of Fortune) / Ogled knjige (Bogate nasljednice)

A few weeks ago I read Daughters of Fortune by Tara Hyland (her site here). My opinions about this novel are divided. I can't say I disliked it, but I found it lacking. However, compared with similar novels, it is actually pretty good. The novel is badly written, but its story has definite potential. Moreover, it is very fast paced which is essentially what keeps it from being boring.  Descriptions of characters are terrible, they seem to be inserted by force, but characters themselves are potentially very intriguing, especially the leading ladies. What a shame that the stereotypes almost reduce them to caricatures at times.  Fortunately, only at times. The characters do develop with time in a way that is quite realistic. The protagonists of this novel are three sisters that are very different one from another and this is something Tara handled quite well. What is more, as the novel develops, the character developments can be felt in the protagonists and that is something I quite liked.

Prije par tjedana pročitala sam Bogate Nasljednice od Tare Hyland (poveznica na njenu stranicu). Moje mišljenje o ovom romanu je podjeljeno. Ne mogu reći da mi se ne sviđa, ali mislim da mu dosta toga nedostaje. No, kad ga usporedim s sličnim romanima, zapravo je poprilično dobar. Sam roman je dosta loše napisan, ali priča ima opipljivog potencijala. Radnja se događa jako brzo i to zapravo sprječava roman od dosade. Opisi likova su grozni, kao da su na silu ubačeni, ali samo likovi su u mogućnosti biti jako zanimljivi, pogotovo glavne dame. Šteta što ih stereotipi skoro svode na karikature ponekad...i sreća što je to samo ponekad. Likovi se razvijaju s vremenom na način koji je dosta realan. Protagonistice su tri sestre koje su veoma drukčije jedna od druge i to je Tara dosta dobro napravila. Štoviše, kako roman napreduje, razvoj likova se osjeti u protagonisticama i to je nešto što mi je dosta svidjelo. 




The writer has a good imagination and I would dare to say she has a good instinct. It is very unfortunate she absolutely lacks writing skill. She can write, but not that well. However, I do think she may develop as a writer if she puts some effort into it. I for one would take a chance and gave her another shot if and when she published the next one. Back to this novel... On scale from one to five, I would give it three. This novel is full of stereotypes (from submissive Asian secretary to aggressive first born London heiress) and that is one thing I strongly dislike. With a good editor, this novel could have been so much more, but it is what it is. In its own category, I would say it is pretty good, but it didn't make that jump from chic lit to real literature. Nevertheless, I did read it and with most chic lit, I would just read two first pages, roll my eyes and toss it away, so that is a recommendation of some kind. It is a good novel to keep in mind if you want to be entertained not educated. I hope this author will find it in her to try to write on a higher level...we need more books like that.

Spisateljica ima razvijenu maštu, a dodala bi da čak ima i dobar instinkt, šteta što joj u velikoj mjeri nedostaje spisateljske vještine. Može ona pisati, ali ne tako dobro. Međutim mislim da se kao pisac može još razviti ako se malo potruditi. Ja bi joj dala još jednu priliku ako i kada objavi sljedeći roman...No, natrag na ovaj, od jedan do pet dala bi mu ocjenu tri. Roman je pun stereotipa ( od pokorne azijske sekretarice do agresivne prvorođene iz Londona) i to mi je stvarno išlo na živce. S dobrim urednikom, ovaj je roman mogao biti puno više, ali je ono što jest. U svojoj kategoriji je poprilično dobar, no daleko je od skoka iz takozvanog chic lit-a do prave književnosti. Ipak sam ga pročitala, a većinu te chic literature odbacim nakon prvih nekoliko stranica pa je ovo zapravo preporuka neke vrste. Dobar roman za imati na pameti želite li nešto da vas zabavi, a ne obrazuje. Nadam se da će se spisateljica potruditi pa se dignuti na malo višu razinu...takvih knjiga nam baš nedostaje. 

DIY necklace (worn previously here


midi skirt/midi suknja: vintage
necklace/ogrlica: DIY
bag/ torba: no name
shoes/ heels: Peko

Comments

  1. It's a shame when the actual premise of the story has so much promise but it doesn't get executed properly. I was curious about what you had said and it looks like she might be a new writer so I was surprised to see that this author actually had a few books under her belt already. Just hearing that someone still employs stereotypical characters in this day and age have put me off this book. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, that happens very often. I hate stereotypical characters too.

      Delete
  2. I love how you honestly wrote this review dear. Perhaps the writer has a really great deal for imagination happening on her mind but maybe what was on the pages of the book was different from what she wants bring to her readers. These days I would love to just stay on my bed all day and read the books that I love. Unfortunately, this time isn't the best time for me to do it because I still have much to accomplish in my work now. Thank you for sharing to us such a wonderful insight dear! <3

    love lots,
    Tin

    mypoeticisolation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, sometimes things look one way for the writers in their head and they turn out into something different in print. I know that being a writer is hard, so I try not to be too harsh.

      Delete
  3. A great idea poorly executed I could make a rubber stamp of to do reviews on so many things I encounter. The most recent were the 2 movies of The Purge series. Fascinating concept, sort of a wing of the Hunger Games or could even be a type of prequel. But done so poorly by comparison. So glad you could find some value in your book. Looking gorgeous and wow in that bright blue top, dear! Have not seen them so well for a while and it is a welcome sight :) xoxo

    All Things Bright and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're so right! I was thinking exactly the same thing.

      I googled Purge and it seems it is exactly that- a great idea poorly executed.

      Delete
  4. Pretty! Love the midi skirt!
    xoxo
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/donkeycool-4487669/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Che bel mix di colori hai creato, adoro giallo e blu insieme e la gonna è splendida!!!!
    xo Paola
    Expressyourself
    My Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  6. me encanta el look,el tono azul queda genial con esta falda,estas preciosa!
    Muchas gracias por tu comentario guapa,te espero por mi nuevo post,besitos desde:
    http://patriciasanchezstylestreet.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice Ivana :)
    Great post!

    Stay in Style
    Karen @ Lookbook Store Blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review ivana but I just love your outfit! One of my favs on you!
    Thestyletune.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting book review and luckily the story is at least entertaining... Love your outfit, it looks very elegant on you!

    Prudence
    www.prudencepetitestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look maravilhoso amei as imagens linda saia, tenha uma semana abençoada.
    Vídeo Novo:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTTJlojHXF8
    Blog: http://arrasandonobatomvermelho.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review and glad to see you pointing out your thoughts and feelings about the book.Makes this space informative and inspirational at the same time in all issues.I love your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy reading too, but usually go for thriller or romance ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is been a while since I read a good triller....feel free to give me a recommendation.

      Delete
  13. You have excellent taste! I like color mix and your skirt looks great!Very romantic outfit)

    ***International GIVEAWAY in my blog***

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ma che bel look cara:) un bacione

    ReplyDelete
  15. Molto belli gli abbinamenti di colore!
    Alessia
    THECHILICOOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Iako nisam čitala tu knjigu, potpuno si mi je dočarala. Takođe mrzim stereotipe, kako u književnosti, tako i generalno, pa kad god sebe uhvatim da razmišljam na taj način, odmah se trgnem. Ova kombinacija mi je toliko divna da nemam reči! I sama sam ljubitelj rolki i midi suknji (baš to i nosim danas), a kombinacija plave i žute mi je uvek tako draga i nekako puna pozitivne energije. Oglrica je predivna i baš daje završni pečat kombinaciji :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. il libro sembra molto interessante ma confesso di essee stata distratta dal tuo look, stai benissimo Ivana!

    Shopping Girls

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I just hate books like that. Though I use to enjoy reading but I am too busy to dive into a good book. I also really use to love writing too, oh the younger days haha.
    I just LOVE that skirt with that blue top, it is gorgeous!

    ARedLip&Love

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely adore this! Hope you have a lovely day.

    ** I'm inviting you to join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!

    NEW POST: MeNow Long Lasting Lipgloss Review and Swatches

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! I will have to give this a look! Great look as well!

    Danielle
    http://www.blushblossom.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look fabulous dear! Great review

    http://helderschicplace.blogspot.com/2015/12/gray.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. amazing necklace!!

    kisses
    www.aprendiendoaquererme.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mia cara ,outfit delizioso.Mi piacciono i colori che hai scelto...bello il maglioncino e fantastica la borsa.E la gonna ...wow!!!
    Un bacione
    Ale
    http://alespinkfairytale.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello, dearest Ivana - I'm quite shure this is not "my" book ;o)) - but I like your dress and the DIY necklace!
    Lots of hugs, Traude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I'm happy you like this look. If you're looking for a deeper or a more meaningful book, this is not the one:)

      Delete
  25. Ti dirò, magari quel libro sarà anche scritto male ed un pò carente, però mi hai incuriosita da come lo hai descritto!
    Credo che lo cercherò, volgio sapere di che parla la storia!^^
    Tu sei bellissima ed elegante con questo look, quella gonna ti dona molto, ed il top aderente è perfetto: insomma stai davvero bene!
    Baci!
    S
    s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look stunning and great book review! I'll be sure to check it out! I'm currently reading E. Gilbert "The Signature Of All Things". It's pretty good too!
    xoxo, Vanessa
    www.WhatWouldVWear.net

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful blouse and skirt:) Great colors:)
    Have a lovely week!
    kisses
    http://irreplaceable-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. The necklace is so cute! Elegant and beautiful look! The blue looks so good on you ;)xo,

    http://cocojeans.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  29. You look so classy. Love the bag! Have a great day Ivana! xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Ivana, I think, I wo´nt read this book. But I love your midi skirt and your blue shirt. You look stunning with this look. I envy you for your great figure ;-))

    xoxo Nadine

    http://nadinecd.blogspot.co.at

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sad si me baš zainteresirala za knjigu, ja obozavam čitati ;) morat ću je potražiti da vidim oće li meni sjesti :D

    http://recenzije11.blogspot.ba

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jako lepa i damska kombinacija! Dolcevita izgleda fenomenalno u kombinaciji sa ovakvim krojem suknje. Rado bih obukla sve ove komade :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All your comments mean a lot to me, even the criticism. Naravno da mi puno znači što ste uzeli vrijeme da nešto napišete, pa makar to bila i kritika. Per me le vostre parole sono sempre preziose anche quando si tratta di critiche.

Popular posts from this blog

Jadrolinija ferry ride, travelling from Split to island Hvar (outfit post)

REPAINTING AND REPAIRING AN OIL ON CANVAS, A PAINTING OF ASSISI ( ITALY)

FASHION ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY:A SUMMER DRESS (STAEDTLER PENCIL WATERCOLOURS)

FASHION ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY: LBD AND VINTAGE VIBES

CIRCUS THEMED CREATIVE ARTS & CRAFTS ( DIY ) IDEAS FOR BOTH KIDS & ADULTS

THE ISLAND OF THE MISSING TREES BY ELIF SHAFAK (BOOK REVIEW AND RECOMMENDATION)

HOW TO STYLE A BROWN FAUX LEATHER COAT?

How To Wear Yellow In Summer? + Mostar's panorama + Goranci restaurant

BOOK REVIEW: MURDER IN THREE ACTS, A NOVEL BY AGATHA CHRISTIE